Wednesday, May 8, 2013

We Interrupt This Regularly Scheduled Broadcast....

Warning: Non-wargaming post!

Ben Mendolsohn is one of my favourite Australian actors. He does a great line in quietly menacing bad guys and bighearted boof-heads. Think The Big Steal, SpotswoodIdiot Box and Animal Kingdom.

Here he is doing another quietly menacing turn as my favourite mental illness, Anxiety. When I say 'favourite' I mean the one I am most intimately acquainted with. And I don't mean just the day to day worries like 'I hope no one laughs at my new haircut' but really big, soul crushing anxiety that makes it impossible to get out of bed in the morning.

It doesn't matter if things outwardly look fine; you've got a loving family, a job, a roof over your head etc., etc. It worms its way into your head and is there to stay, sometimes in the background, under control, sometimes raging through your skull making everything just too hard to deal with.


Not to get all Oprah on you, but life can be a bugger and if you're struggling with something, the only way to deal with it to talk about it. Trying to be a tough bloke and cope on your own is a recipe for further pain down the track.

As Ben says, "What are you going to do about it?" If you do need help talk to your GP or visit an online advocacy website like Beyond Blue.

Alright, Dr. Beefy's finished his message for the day. Thank you for your attention. Carry on, chaps.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post, good for you talking about anxiety; so many of us suffer and still so many are ignorant of the impact anxiety has on our quality of life. I hope you find your way through this very difficult condition. Wagames and figure painting can serve as a distraction and an anchor.
    Cheers
    Deon

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

My Shelfari Bookshelf